Tuesday 17 July 2012

Printing Yardage


My stash of my own hand printed fabrics has run low, probably because I usually dye and print outside during the summer months.  I can't stand wet fabrics and prints hanging around the house for days so I have been patiently (ha-ha) waiting for some sunny weather to turn up. I'm going to have to give in on that one and utilise the green-house if this present spell of monsoons keep up.

 To that end, I've started the process by using a little bunch of spoons I found in a bric-a-brac shop. I have made some positive and negative lino cuts from them and started to mess about on paper using them to see what I can come up with. It has all started very neatly and and in regular  patterns,hopefully by the time I have filled a pad up with designs it should get much looser and informal - ready for printing on to fabric. 


 

I have also been loving my sweet peas this year (there has got to be a plus side to all this rain). I found them very difficult to capture at first, probably because I  haven't drawn for a few weeks but in the words of my late drawing master ' after the first hundred sketches of an object everyones drawing of it starts to improve'.  These would look lovely painted onto some silk.
My Embroidered Bead course that I ran at Beecrafty last Saturday was so enjoyable and productive. Everyone produced a very accomplished sample each and also got to grips with some more complex stitches. I think the four hour class was much better than the two hour one that I have done before. The shorter course crammed everything in but felt too rushed. The shop was buzzing with activity - a quilt class was going on in an adjacent room and all helped produce a great atmosphere to teach in. Looking forward to teaching Embroidered Buttons in the Autumn.  
 

2 comments:

  1. I love where you're going with the spoons and the sweet peas are gorgeous, so delicate and natural looking. Thanks for commenting on my blog. You asked my process of working on so many things. I find I need to have a few different things happening then, when I get 'stuck' with one, I leave it and go onto something else. It's amazing how it frees up your blockage and gets you going again. I always seem to be working to deadlines which also keeps me on my toes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your sweet pea artwork is beautiful.....happy to report sunshine today in Lancashire!

    ReplyDelete