Wednesday 15 June 2011

Vintage French linen.



 I collect vintage textiles, nothing too precious or pristine in fact the tattier the better. Embroidered traycloths, doilies, scraps of lace, old handmade tablecloths and worn sheets to name but a few things I keep my eyes open for.
These wallhangings (22" x 16") are part of a series of six that I have made. I find them pleasing because they combine several crafts: applique, hand painted fabrics, embroidery and crochet mixed with a few commercial scraps of batik. The backgrounds are all vintage French linen.



This is beaded and sequined version using my handprinted linens that I think I produced at a Ruth Isset class.



These pieces are quite contemporary in their colours and design, but without a doubt they also hark back to historical crewel work. I'm quite fond of these three pieces and might visit the series again to see if  I can bring anything else to them.

3 comments:

  1. I love these - they are so delicate! I can definitely see the historic element to them. If you ever get bored with them I am perfectly happy to give them a new home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have afew of us ready to home them lol They are such fun but nostalgic too. really, really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous little gems. The flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete