Friday 8 February 2013

A Series In the Making


I'm still stitching away at these vintage fabric pieces. When I sat down last week to mindlessly stitch  I didn't realise I had a series in the making. Of course mindless stitching is a misnomer really. Although it doesn't feel like the brain is engaged when sewing without a planned outcome, what actually appears is all the imagery and influences stored in the subconscious. I'm seeing a lot of this kind of work about at the moment  and this is simply my version of it.
 I am stitching the work in just one thread, a fat reel of linen tucked into my hand  ( thank you Linda) at the last Calico meeting. I was feeling pretty dreadful and I left after 20 minutes or so but that reel of thread has engaged me for the past two weeks.


I  think this one will be finished this weekend. I have another background already laid out but I need to give my fingers a rest  before I tackle the stitching!
I hope I feel back to normal next week, I'm so looking forward to 'Textiles in Focus' at Cottenham. I've planned  to go on Sunday 17th. Anyone else going on that day?


3 comments:

  1. I'm going to TIF on the Sunday too :-) I've got a workshop with Lynda Monk in the morning but I'll look out for you. I'll try and remember to bring my name badge with me (it hangs round my neck). I hope you feel better by next week. You've just given me an idea for a little bit of portable stitching to take with me on a bus trip tomorrow. I hate not having a little project with me. Enjoy TIF if I don't bump into you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to be there all 3 days and teaching on 2 days so please do drop by and say hi! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. hiya, julie, wendy and I are going on sunday, we are at a workshop in the morning, julie says we should wear our name badges- so look out for tina I l be the one carrying all the shopping see ya

    ReplyDelete