Monday 8 October 2012

Ullapool Haven

 
After an unexciting (but welcome) night in Penrith Travellers Lodge we had a wonderful journey in crystal clear sunshine up through the Highlands to our beloved Ullapool today. Already we have been out and about to check that everything is just as we left it. Apart from a brand new Ferry Carpark all seems much the same thank goodness!
So back to the Guild exhibition - it was good to see so many people at the cupcake tea party yesterday I have to say  it all passed in a bit of a whirl for me as I knew I had a long journey ahead of me. Apologies if I seemed a bit more frazzled than usual to anyone, my organising skills come a bit harder to me these days.
 
 

 
This expertly worked, vibrant Kingfisher was embroidered by Christine Anderson. Another stitcher in our guild who's technique and knowledge inspires me.
 
 
Elaine Harburn has produced this very touching piece 'Er Zullen Altijd Wel Soldaten Zijn' (There will always be soldiers) I see a story behind this piece. It will need gazing at until it reveals itself to the onlooker.
I also loved the Mountmellick style Peter Pan collar that she has produced.
 
 
Elaine also has 'Four White Roses' done in Pulled Work, Richelieu, Needlelace and Mountmellick on display, showing technical skills that just have to be seen, I think the purity of the white makes a welcome resting point visually in amongst the coloured work surrounding it.
Finally for today - a piece by Biddy Bruce 'Landscape'.
 
I have heightened the colours a little to make up for the glare of the glass - which brings me back to where I am today. If I look out of the window it looks just like this (only a lot colder). More 'pics' tomorrow.
 


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment